Friday, March 18, 2005

A Soapmakers Journal

I suppose I should begin my first blog by explaining its title: 'Marsigila'
Marsiglia in Italian means castile soap.

I'm hoping to keep a journal on soapmaking, with little snippets of my daily soaping routines, practices & philosophy... things I've picked up over the past 10 years of soapmaking and still learning daily. While this venture began as soley a hobby for me, has now grown to include over 7,000 bars made per year :+) That's alotta soap!! LOL

My primary interest in soapmaking is CP (cold process) & Marsigila.. olive oil castile herbal soaps. Though I've tried other soapmaking methods.. I always come back to CP. Having sensitive skin prompted me to learn this craft and I've never looked back, nor has anything improved my skin so much until I began making my own. Having the ability to choose what I want in a fine bar of soap has become quite a challenge & learning process and one that appeals to me greatly. I've learned through much trial and error, what 'I' prefer in a nice bar of soap. To me a good bar of soap is gentle, creamy, long lasting, fragranced beautifully and has opulent lathering ability. Meeting the needs of my customers now has become yet another challenge.

I've met so many online soapmakers that have taken the time to teach, trade and share their own soapmaking techniques... I just wanted to begin this journal for perhaps future use.

No comments: